Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A year ago today, I headed to my 12 week checkup. Scott was in Chicago, but that was OK since this wasn't a "big" appointment. It was just to check blood pressure, heartbeat, and those kinds of things. Little did we know this would be the biggest appointment of them all.

They called me back, checked my weight and blood pressure, then I waited to see the doctor. She asked how I was feeling, and we discussed my concerns about why I hadn't gained any weight, and if fact had lost 5 pounds. She said this was sometimes common in the first trimester, and just to keep eating! Then she went to listen to the baby's heartbeat and couldn't find it. A friend had told me already that sometimes it would take awhile to find the heartbeat on the handheld doppler, so I didn't worry when she couldn't find it. She finally found it, but also found something else. An extra membrane. She sent me across the hall to check it out on the better ultrasound machine. And sure enough, there was baby #2. I quickly had my reason about why I wasn't gaining weight. I wasn't eating enough for both babies!! The rest of the two hour appointment is sort of a blur, but I remember walking to the car and as soon as I got in I started crying. I don't think I stopped crying for quite some time. So many things were going through my head about carrying and having twins.... the risks of multiple pregnancies, the financial aspects, how we would need two of everything... I even thought about having to buy 2 cars when they are in high school, two college tuitions, etc... I thought about everything. I finally got ahold of Scott and he couldn't have been more excited. We were not on the same page at all!! I came around, but it took a few days. Now I can't imagine having it any other way!

We are so lucky to have two healthy babies! They are doing great and are continuing to do new things everyday. They are so much fun to watch. The past couple days, Addison has really enjoyed watching her hand. She opens it, then closes it, then moves her fingers, then turns her hand upside down. She seems in awe of her own hand! They have both discovered tags on toys.. the little white tags that have washing directions or other information. If we give them a toy, they go straight for the tags and just start chewing on them. Soon we'll have to remove them all.

I am still doing a tooth check every morning, but nothing yet! They are both still getting up on their knees, but haven't quite gotten up on all fours yet. Addison did get up on her knees and elbows on Monday, so I think she's very close! Fischer has really "discovered his voice" lately and does this screaming noise a lot and it is LOUD!! I guess he has a lot to say and wants to be heard.

We go to the Doctor on Monday for another shot, so I'll have a weight update then!

No comments:

Post a Comment