Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Things have been busy, and emotional around here! Unfortunately, we've had a very sad few days around here, as we lost our fur baby Bo last Friday. I will write more about him and his last days with us soon, but I'm just not ready to do that yet.

In the mean time, I thought I'd post about something fun! :) 

I love the Olympics! I have been staying up way too late watching them but I can't help it. I've been avoiding the internet as much as possible during the day because of all of the spoilers out there. I want to pretend I'm watching the events live! :)

Anyway, the kids and I did a fun little project last week in preparation for the opening ceremonies. We made our own gold medals! Jim and Dianne came over Thursday night for dinner, and they were lucky enough to receive medals of their own!

First, we had to make the mixture that would turn into dough. We mixed baking powder, corn starch and water.


Then we had to bring it to a boil and stir until it turned into dough.

Next, we had to let the dough cool.

We could then roll it out, cut out our circles, punch out the ribbon holes and make the Olympic rings.


Then, more waiting while the medals dried.

Finally, it was time to paint, which was Addison and Fischer's favorite part.



The last step was putting them on ribbons, and then awarding them, of course. :)



*Addison and Fischer are wearing coordinating Hawaiian outfits. Scott and I bought them last year when we went to Key West. I remember thinking they looked so huge, and that it would be a long time before the kids could wear them. They have grown so much this past year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment