Thursday, December 2, 2010

Tuesday was a very rainy day. Rainy days mean no outside time for us! Sometimes, this can make the days seem a little longer. I try to think of activities to do on rainy days that will keep Addison and Fischer occupied for at least a little while.

I'd read about a "sensory bin" on another blog and liked the idea. So, on my last trip to Wal-Mart, I picked up some plastic bins (only $2.50 each), some various Wal-Mart brand pasta ($1 per box) and some pom pom craft balls ($2 for a bag).

I then poured the dry pasta in the bins and "buried" the pom poms so that Addison and Fischer could sift through the pasta and find them. I also gave them spoons so they could stir their pasta. I made sure to get bigger pieces of pasta so that even if they tried to eat it, they wouldn't choke. And, the bigger pieces are easier to clean up if (when!) part of it ends up on the floor.



I made sure they each had their own bin, but I should've known they'd end up playing with the same one.



They really seemed to enjoy playing with it, and Fischer only tried to dump his bin once, and that was towards the end when he was getting bored!

The best part is that we can use the bins over and over and change out the objects inside! I think I'll try shredded up paper (maybe this will be a good way to reuse some Christmas wrapping paper) soon!

Once they were tired of playing, they started wandering around the kitchen. I looked over and saw this... I guess they were practicing some yoga?!

No comments:

Post a Comment