Sunday, June 14, 2009

So much has happened

Ok, so my last post was started in February... the day before the twins were born! I had great plans to keep up with it, but I also didn't expect them to come that night.  So here it is, June 14, and I'm just now getting back to it. I will try my best to fill you in on the last 3 1/2 months with twins.  Forgive me if this post jumps all over the place because I have a lot of information to fill you in on! 

They are 16 weeks today, and doing great. They are both around 11 pounds now!! Sometimes I get sad at how fast they are growing, but I know it's a great thing.

Let's see - we brought them home on March 2. Since then we have settled into a routine and are loving being parents of twins. It's so fun to watch them discover new things. For the first few weeks, they stayed in their cribs in the nursery for the most part. They were still so small so it was hard to keep them warm.  We had a space heater in their nursery, and they would wear a onsie, sleeper and 2 blankets. We had to make sure their temperatures didn't fall below 97 degrees. Some days it was right at that, even with all of those layers.  Slowly they started to gain some baby fat and it became easier to keep them warm. Then we started bringing them out into the rest of the house more.  We also limited visitors because we didn't want them to get sick.   We had weekly weight visits with the Dr. and they were very pleased with how quickly they were gaining weight. It was fun for us too because I was always curious about their weights. 

We didn't take them in public much at all in March. We didn't get much sleep either.  On doctor's orders, we were feeding them every 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Sometimes we had to wake them up to eat, which was hard to do, but necessary.  We saw that this was paying off each week at their weight appointments.  Eventually, we made the decision to see how long they'd sleep at night. They were still waking up around 4 to 4 1/2 hours. Scott and I did "shifts" for awhile in order to get some sleep.  We would each take one 4 hour shift at night, which would allow the other one of us to get at least 4 hours of sleep. That was so nice since the babies didn't always sleep at night. They still preferred to sleep during the day and play at night.  Our days pretty much consisted of feeding the babies, changing diapers, doing laundry, feeding the dogs,  feeding ourselves and sleeping. 

At 6 weeks old, we decided to make the drive up to Ohio for my brother's wedding.  Call us crazy...  the drive there wasn't bad at all. They were going a solid 4 hours now between feedings, so we left after their morning feeding. We drove 4 hours to Asheville, NC and spent the night there. That left about 7 hours the next day so we only had to stop and do 1 feeding that day, and then fed them again as soon as we got to Dayton. It was a fun weekend and a lot of my family got to meet the babies which was nice.  However, at the reception, Addison started to cry. It was a different cry than we were used to. And she kept crying...  Scott was great and took the babies back to the hotel while I enjoyed the reception for a little while longer. When I got back to the hotel, she was still crying. We were planning on leaving around 7 am the next morning anyway, but at 2 or 3 am after their feeding, she was still crying... so we decided to go ahead and leave since we weren't sleeping anyway.  That was the longest drive ever. We were both so tired, and I tried staying awake to talk to Scott while he was driving, but it was so hard! The good part is we made it home at a very decent hour on Sunday.  So, we decided no more long trips in the car for awhile...  Poor Addison kept crying for a couple of weeks. We finally put her on a different formula that is supposed to help with colic, and it really did seem to help. She is still on it - of course it's the most expensive one Similac makes.  I think that was all part of her plan to become her diva-like self. :) 

Between then and now, they have rolled over. Fischer rolls a lot, and Addison has showed us she can do it and chooses not to do it much at all anymore.  They both smile a lot - I wish I wrote down the exact day they first smiled at me, but I didn't. That's another reason I want to do this blog - so I can remember more of those things. Sometimes it's just too busy and I forget to write the milestones down - whether they are big or small.  They both love their pacis, but have also discovered their fingers so they chew on those a lot.  Fischer started laying flat to sleep about 3 weeks ago, and he sleeps great that way. Addison still has to sleep in her boppy because of her spitting up. We tried her flat one night and she didn't seem comfortable. I don't think she always looks comfortable in her boppy but she seems to sleep ok.  In April, they went for their 2 month check up.  The Dr. was very happy with their progress, and they seemed to be on track with their milestones.  They were small in their weights and lengths, but growing great so the doctor wasn't concerned at all. They go for their 4 month check up on June 23. 

They are now sleeping from about 10:30 pm until 5 am. They wake up for a bottle, then go back to sleep until about 9 or 9:30. I can't complain - it's much better than getting 2 hours of sleep at a time.

In other news, I decided 100% not to go back to work so I'm officially a stay-at-home mom. It's hard some days, but I'm loving every minute with them.  I am so lucky that I am able to stay at home and I enjoy getting that time to spend with them everyday. Somedays I may seem frustrated but I wouldn't trade it for anything! 

I know there was a lot to cover in this post, and I also skipped over a lot of stuff. I hope to post every few days to let you know what A and F are up to. I also plan to do  post of just pictures so you can see how much they've grown.  

No comments:

Post a Comment