Friday, August 14, 2009

A year ago today was my first appointment/ultrasound after finding out I was pregnant. I knew about the pregnancy for 4 long weeks before the appointment, and couldn't wait to go and make sure everything was going how it should. I was so nervous, excited, anxious and happy! I got there and had some tests done, then it was ultrasound time! I was only 7 weeks pregnant, but I was already able to hear the heartbeat (you can't always hear it that early). It was such an awesome sound, and I couldn't believe I was staring at our baby up on the screen. I was watching him/her flicker around. I was told that he/she had a very healthy heartbeat, and by the measurements, my due date would be March 29, 2009. It finally all seemed very real and I was so relieved that everything was as it should be. Scott and I just smiled and kept staring at the screen. I think we were both a little sad when it was time for us to go - I think we could have listened to the heartbeat all day! After that appointment, we made a lot of phone calls and told all of our friends and family who didn't already know (only a few people knew before the appointment).

Little did we know that we would get the surprise of a lifetime just 4 weeks later. We spent the next four weeks planning for our ONE baby. We went and looked at furniture, carseats, and strollers. We talked about how we'd paint the nursery. We talked about traveling with a baby. We talked about so many things and how our lives would be so different with our baby. We had no idea that baby number two was hiding in there somewhere during that first ultrasound. Apparently he/she was completely lined up with the baby that did show up - this is obviously very rare. I have spent a lot of time looking at those ultrasound pictures searching for a second baby. He/she isn't there. I will always wonder which baby is in the pictures... was it Baby A (Addison) or Baby B (Fischer)?? If I had gone a few days later for my ultrasound, would the second baby have been visible? These are things I'll never know. I guess it all makes for an interesting story! We had no reason to suspect twins, so we didn't even think to ask. The only thing that was a little odd was that I was struggling to gain weight, and had in fact lost 5 pounds. The Doctor was a little concerned and told me to eat more calories but she certainly didn't even mention twins as losing a little weight in the first trimester sometimes happens. I now tell all my newly pregnant friends to make sure the ultrasound tech looks everywhere for a hiding baby. :)

Below are two pictures from the ultrasound. They showed up really small for some reason so it's hard to see but if you click on the picture it should show up larger. That way you can clearly see it's just one baby in the picture. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment