Sunday, July 18, 2010

Friday morning, Scott and I "slept in" (past 8:00!). I nearly had a panic attack when I saw the clock, then realized there were no babies to take care of! We got ready, then headed back over to Quincy Market for breakfast. Since we were too full to each lunch there the day before, we wanted to try to get something there before heading out to Portland.  Forget breakfast foods - we both enjoyed a delicious lobster roll. We were excited that someone would sell us one at 10 in the morning. :)


We headed back to the hotel to meet the rental car person - they dropped our car off for us, which saved us a trip back to the airport to pick it up. Then, we hit the road. I was so excited to go to Maine, since it was somewhere new! I was really hoping to see a moose hanging out by the road on our 2 hour drive, but didn't have any luck.

We checked in to our hotel, which was a really cute local hotel. It was perfectly located so that we could walk wherever we needed to go.  Their website is www.portlandharborhotel.com if you'd like to check it out! Once we got settled, it was time to go find some lunch. Once again, we were on the hunt for a restaurant we'd seen on Anthony Bordain: No Reservations on the Travel Channel.  It was called J's Oyster and it looked like our kind of place.  A shack, right on the water, nothing fancy and most importantly, fresh seafood... also, the locals like to eat their too! We found it pretty quickly, and found 2 seats at the bar - the last 2 seats in the whole place. Scott couldn't wait to have some of their famous steamer clams (after sampling their chowder, of course). Scott ate them a lot growing up, but I'd never had them, so I was eager to give them a try. As Scott said they would be, they were very tasty!


After lunch, we walked around most of the afternoon and explored. I was amazed by this parking lot and office building. The building is pretty much just sitting on a dock, and the deck part is also the parking lot (the picture also shows where we ate lunch in the background)... it made me nervous standing there along with all of the parked cars. It just seemed to me that a dock wouldn't be able to support all of that weight!



We ate dinner at a place right across the street from the hotel. I had crab cakes and was very pleased! Scott wasn't as impressed with his braised short rib dinner, and I told him it was because he didn't get seafood! After dinner, we decided to go listen to some live music. A lot of the places along the water were having music that night. Again, we found oursleves at a place where the ENTIRE bar was on a deck right over the water. I guess you get used to it! We had a great time and stayed out until midnight!!


Then it was time to rest up for our trip to Freeport, Maine on Saturday.

*A side note - I talked to my parents several times a day to check in on Addison and Fischer, who were doing just fine. My dad also sent me daily picture texts so that I could see them. I was excited to get those!

No comments:

Post a Comment