Friday, January 20, 2012

Poor Addison has been sick for 2 weeks... and she still isn't 100%.

It all started 2 Saturdays ago...she seemed fine the entire day. I put them to bed, and all was normal. Scott returned from a hunting trip late that night, so he went to check on the kids when he got home. When he checked on Addison, he could tell she had a fever - it was around 102! What!? Where did that come from? He gave her some Tylenol, and we waited to see what Sunday would be like.

She woke up and seemed fine again. How weird! It was a very nice morning so we decided to head to the zoo. The kids, once again, seemed fine. We headed home to eat lunch and put the kids down for their naps. We got Subway and brought it home to eat. We sat down and Fischer was not like himself at all and asked to go to bed. My kids never ask to go to bed like that. He didn't even eat his chips so I knew he wasn't feeling right. So I put him to bed and he went right to sleep. When he woke up, he and Scott went to the grocery store. Scott called me a little while later and said Fischer had gotten sick in the middle of the grocery store - all over himself, the cart and the floor.

Meanwhile, Addison woke up from her nap and she was warm again! I took her temperature and her fever was over 101. What a confusing day! So when Scott and Fischer got home, we all just relaxed and watched TV for the afternoon. Fischer got sick a few more times, then seemed to feel better by bedtime. He woke up pretty much back to normal Monday morning.

Addison woke up without a fever, but was still kind of tired, and her nose was running a bit. We took it easy that day too. I decided to take them to school Tuesday morning because neither had fevers and they seemed ok. Addison just seemed a little tired.  And, Scott and I were leaving town that Friday and it was my last chance to run a few errands without the kids because Scott was out of town until late Thursday night and the kids didn't have school Thursday. Selfish, I guess. :) Anyway, I got a call from their teacher saying Addison wasn't being herself, and she felt a little warm. She also told the teacher she had thrown up in her bed the night before. Because of their "24 hour rule" for throwing up, the teacher had to follow up. I assured her that Addison did not get sick the night before! She said Addison told her she got sick, I gave her a bath and then gave her some Pepto. None of which was true... I thought it was pretty funny.

By the time I picked the kids up from school, Addison was feeling awful. Her nose was running a lot and she was just really tired. She perked up some, and seemed a little better Wednesday. Fast forward to Thursday.... I finally took her to the doctor because she had a developed a nasty cough and I didn't want to leave town on Friday wondering what was going on. I got the last appointment of the afternoon, and thankfully Dianne stayed with Fischer because we ended up having to wait a long time which is never fun with both kids there!

Turns out she had another ear infection, and the 2nd ear was about to become infected. The poor girl never had an ear infection before November and now she's had 5. So they gave us an antibiotic and she got her first dose Thursday evening. My parents got to town so they could keep the kids while Scott and I went to Arizona for a wedding. Friday morning, Addison seemed much better. My parents said she seemed pretty good the whole weekend, until Monday. She was getting warm by nap time so they gave her some Tylenol. By the time Scott and I got home Monday evening, Addison was quite hot and not feeling well at all.  I had talked to a nurse while we were waiting in the airport earlier in the day and she said it wasn't normal to have a fever 5 days into an antibiotic, so she should probably be checked out again.

I took her first thing Tuesday morning. Their normal doctor is on maternity leave so we saw another doctor on Thursday and then again on Tuesday. Addison liked him right away, so that was nice. After checking her ears again, he said they did seem to be improving. So he wanted to test for flu and do a blood test to check her red blood cell count, and we would decide what to do after getting those results. Those tests came back fine, so he said to continue the antibiotic, and he also prescribed a steroid to hopefully get rid of this virus that Addison has on top of her ear infection.  I was so proud of Addison - she did great during the 2 tests and hated the flu test (swab up the nose) much more than the blood test (they pricked her finger).

We will have to take her back towards the end of this coming week to recheck her ears again and make sure the infection is completely gone. It's exhausting when the kids keep getting sick so I hope we are nearing the end of this phase!!

No comments:

Post a Comment