Sunday, February 27, 2011

Oh, what a few days it's been. I mentioned that Addison had (still has?) the flu.

Last Wednesday morning, we went to My Gym as usual. We came home, had lunch and the kids napped. When they woke up, I went in to get them. When I picked Addison up, she was SO hot. I immediately knew she had  a fever, which turned out to be almost 104.  I was so confused because she seemed perfectly fine before nap. I gave her Tylenol right away and she went and laid on the couch. Her nose started running and her eyes were watering - it looked like she was crying even though she wasn't. I called the doctor's office and got an appointment for an hour later. I didn't have time to get someone to watch Fischer, and Scott was out of town, so I had to take both of them - not really a fun thing at this age since there is always a lot of waiting involved.

We finally got called back and they did the flu swab, which came back positive. My first question to the Doctor was "How can she have the flu when she got the flu shot??" Apparently, this year, the flu shot was much more of mismatch of the actual strain than normal. That is so frustrating because I hated watching them gets those shots, and I hate seeing them sick!

So, we left with 2 prescriptions for TamiFlu - 1 for Addison and 1 for Fischer (he is getting half the dose as a preventative). I went to our normal pharmacy and they were completely out. I freaked out. I raced across the street to another pharmacy because they had a little bit left. But, she said it wouldn't be ready until 2 hours later - which would be past Addison and Fischer's bedtime. But, I didn't have a choice. Poor Addison was feeling so bad and I knew she needed that first dose of medicine ASAP. She was shaking and saying "cold" even though she was burning up from her fever.

Finally, I got their medicine, got them home, settled in and to bed about 2 hours later than normal.  I had to give Addison Tylenol at midnight and 4 am that night in order to keep her fever under control. Thursday, we woke up and her fever was much lower and she seemed to feel much better. As the day went on, however, things went downhill. Fast. Her fever shot up again and wouldn't go down despite giving her Tylenol - it stayed around 104 most of the day. I gave her cool baths and kept cool wash cloths on her face (which she hated). She started throwing up and ended up not keeping any of her medicine down, which is not good when she needs the antibiotic and the Tylenol for the fever. So I called the nurse night line and she said we needed to do a suppository for the fever. She said not to worry about the TamiFlu dose until the next morning.

Scott was driving home from Kentucky at this time but wouldn't be home in time to pick up the suppository from the pharmacy. I couldn't go because Addison was throwing up everywhere. I tried oral Tylenol one more time and it didn't stay down. So, Jim went and picked up the Feverall (suppository) for us. We owe him big time!!! Scott got home right as she was ready for that dose, so we did what had to be done and it definitely brought her fever down.  She was still shaking and very out of it and so tired. We finally got her to bed around midnight (although she had been sleeping on and off on the couch).

Ever since then, she has been getting better, slowly but surely. She still isn't herself and is very tired but the fever is gone! Unfortunately, when the fever left, a rash came.  Luckily we have another appointment tomorrow (2 year checkup) so that will serve as a flu follow up and the Doctor can check out the rash while we are there. We won't be getting any shots tomorrow though because they are both still on the antibiotic, so we'd rather not put even more stuff into their bodies. It's not a big deal to go back later for a nurse visit, so we are going to do that. I have to say, I am not sad at all that they'll be skipping their shots tomorrow!

It has just been a very tiring few days, and it's so hard seeing your child so miserable.  Fischer has been here the whole time to keep me laughing (even if out of frustration). He has definitely been vying for my attention and he was confused a lot. He didn't understand why I couldn't take him outside to play when Addison just wanted to lay on the couch. He didn't understand why Addison wasn't in her crib those nights (and he was VERY upset about that).

He also gave the doctor quite a show while she was examining Addison on Wednesday. He got a bag of goldfish out of my purse (I always take food for entertainment in those types of settings).   He dumped the whole bag out, stepped all over them, then laid on the floor and ate some of the crumbs. Right off the floor in a doctor's office. Gross. It's a miracle he isn't sick yet. But, like I said, he's kept me laughing! :)

Hopefully tomorrow, Addison will be feeling even better!

No comments:

Post a Comment