Sunday, July 17, 2011

Potty training. I really can't wait until I don't have to say those words ever again. :)

I decided to start officially potty training last Saturday. I got the big-girl and big-boy "undies" washed and ready to go. As soon as the kids got up Saturday, I took their diapers off and put their undies on. I made a huge deal about the potty (and had been for several days leading up to this), talked about how the undies needed to stay dry, offered rewards, etc.... I put (or attempted to put) them on the potty every 20-30 minutes. By noon I was worn out, completely frustrated and a little bit grossed out. I expected messes, but one in particular about sent me over the edge... I'll spare you the details.

So, I realized I was in way over my head. I thought I was mentally prepared but I clearly wasn't. I put their diapers on them for nap time and then just kept them in diapers the rest of the day. I felt like a quitter, but it just wasn't working. They had gone on the potty before, so I knew they were capable, but that morning, they just did not care about it. At all.

After a few days off from potty training, I decided to sort of ease back into it. And, I was thinking I would start doing Fischer first instead of doing them both at once. Starting Wednesday night, I started asking them to use the potty before baths. As of tonight, Fischer has gone 5 nights in a row, and Addison has gone 4 (and tonight, she went both #1 and #2!!). I've put them on the potty at other times of the day with no success, but bath time is going great. And, instead of rewarding them with M&Ms like I had planned to do, they are getting to flush the toilet whenever they go. I realized how many times a day I was having to tell Fischer not to flush the toilets, so I thought maybe he'd work towards getting to do it! And this seems to be motivating them much more than the M&Ms. Who would've thought flushing the toilet would be so exciting?! :)

So, I think I'll keep doing this routine for a few more days, and then decide what to do from there.  Thankfully their preschool that they are starting next month doesn't require them to be trained, so at least I don't have pressure from them!

Here are a few pictures from our potty training adventures.... I'm sure they will love looking at these one day :)


No comments:

Post a Comment