Thursday, January 7, 2010

What a difference a year makes...

January 7, 2009



January 5, 2010



On January 7, 2009, I went to a routine appointment. I was 28 weeks and 3 days pregnant. Up until that point, I'd had an uneventful pregnancy and everything seemed normal. So, you can imagine my shock when the doctor thought I should go next door to the hospital to see if I'd been having contractions.  And you can imagine my shock that once I was hooked up to that monitor, they told me I was having contractions every 3 minutes and I was 4 cm dilated. I was pretty calm, but I think that's because I was in shock.  Looking back, it was pretty obvious that the doctors thought the babies were coming sooner rather than later.

I spent the night at one hospital and was taken by ambulance to another that had a NICU the next afternoon. During my first night, I was given my first of two steroid shots (the 2nd was given 24 hours later). I was also started on magnesium to help stop the contractions. As awful as the magnesium made me feel, it worked and the contractions stopped.

I was able to sleep a little bit that night, even though a nurse woke me up every 2 hours to check my magnesium levels by taking blood. I wasn't sure what the next day would hold...

No comments:

Post a Comment